Friday, January 23, 2015

Gaining real understanding

I have been obtaining a real understanding about other women and their life on the streets. It is not enough to just do something to obtain money, but have a passion for it. Some have shared small portions of their life with me. Some have had life changing experiences, that had  caused a nervous breakdown. Others have been hurt and need to heal. Obviously, they were incapable of speaking with an individual that would listen.

Many times we need someone to hear us. It is not always about someone giving their opinion, but just an open ear. I hear some say what they do not need. In a shelter, there are many challenges. With so many conflicting personalities, there will be arguments. Everyone wants the same thing; comfort of their own home. They want to regain normalcy and independence.

I have spoken with a few women that said they do not need to be trained on skills, they learned many years ago as a mature woman. That is a waste of time for someone with common sense; to be told how to be an adult. What they need is to be taught things they do not know. Things that will help them obtain employment.

I have spoken with some that feel more comfortable outside the shelter. They have more freedom and control over their lives. It is insulting for another person to treat you as if you are incapable of making sound decisions. I do understand some need guidance, but not all. There are jobs, housing, training, recovery, counseling and life coping skills; those are just a few services that women are seeking.

It is difficult to speak to people that treat you as if they are looking down on you. It can be humiliating to be a homeless person, male or female. It would be foolish to believe that a person whom has always been independent would just quit trying to provide for themselves. Many things can be beyond your mental comprehension. As we grow and go through life, we begin to obtain more clarity, about thoughts, feelings and reality.

The experiences and things we go through, allow us to gain an appreciation for a better, more comfortable life. Many times we are tested according to what we believe. We may have been taught to have a poverty stricken mindset, but everything we are taught may not be true. We should seek to learn about history, but also should live in the now.

Although many things in the world have some truth to them, not all are in fact true. We each have a reality that best suits us. We are each entitled to choose what makes us happy, according to the Constitution and what we desire. Even though we choose things that may not turn out the way we would like them to, we are free to choose.

I now have a live and let live motto. I see that we cannot see within another human being. There is no way of knowing if they are good people inside. We can only hope and try to have an optimistic look on life and others. It is impossible to go through life, without seeing good in others. Although people display certain characteristics, it doesn't mean they are incapable of change.

I came to Atlanta to accomplish some things and I will. I will also make my way to California. There are many possibilities in life and I will continue until I achieve them. Life is too short to not have everything your heart desires. Believe you deserve the best in life, I don't care where you came from know where you want to go.

Its been hard sleeping outside in the cold, but it has been an experience I will never forget. After the experience I had at he first shelter, I have no desire for that again. When I am on TOP, I will never forget to look back down and pull someone up with me. Believe That! Always remember what you have experienced and where you came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment